A Travellerspoint blog

India trip

Day 17

October 26

Got up early, early at 4:00 am. Got all our stuff packed up and loaded in the car. Our driver had just parked the car outside of our apartment so we were able to just walk down with our luggage. We got from Mungeli to Raipur it the amount of time Anil said it would take, a first in our travels every other time it has taken much longer to get some place. Since we were traveling so early there was much less traffic and the road was much better this time and we only made one wrong turn and it was at the beginning and didn't cost us but 5 minutes. It was amazing how much foot traffic there was at 4:30 in the morning. People were walking along the road. Many were women carrying pails for water from the local water pump areas. There were also a lot of men just sitting along the roadway. At least for the most part the animal traffic was down. Most were just sleeping along the side of the road. When we got to the airport our driver dropped us off and Glenn tipped him. For all the really tough driving we had him do, the late nights, the early mornings, the hideous road conditions Glenn tipped him as much as he could with what rupees we had left but not as much as we would have liked, about $40 US. But Glenn said he saw his face when he counted how much we gave him and smiled a huge smile. We wish we had more but we had to pay for so many other little things and hadn't got more money exchanged since Bhubaneshwar.

At the airport we did our little waiting game. We were arriving the same time and all the armed guard were. We got through checking in and security with no problem and actually found a place to sit for waiting. We even had an exceptional cappichino at a coffee shop while waiting. Unfortunately our plane was 40 minutes late but with no real plans for the day except resting it was not a big deal. The flight was uneventful and only 1 1/2 hours so no big deal at all. We got chicken sandwiches for breakfast and a very strange little muffin with candied fruit in it that I let Glenn have. It was better than nothing and much better than our second train ride's food! Our new driver met us after baggage claim and got us safely to our hotel.

We are in a nice hotel where we will rest and spend the day. We both wish we had brought our swimsuits as they have a nice pool and we would have time today to swim. Oh well. Glenn is crashed on the bed while I am journalling and reading. We got a little fruit basket delivered which we devoured. We got it because we are VIPs, well, duh! lol! Anyway I am going to clean up since we didn't do that at before 4:00 with cold water and drying with a hand towel when we knew we would have all day, a nice shower, full size towels and both cold and hot water! Ahhh, the luxuries of life!

Well, I just cleaned up but it is a couple hours or so later because I fell into a coma. Two nights of not much sleep can do that to a person. Oh wait, how about 2 plus weeks of going, going, going....yeah, that too. Anyway the shower was not the wonderful warm flow of water but a tepid spew but I am clean and tepid is the warmest water I have had in several days. Since our new dinner time seems to be 11:00 pm we are getting ready to get some lunch and yes, it is 5:30 pm but we are trying to work more on London time now and coincidentally it is noon in London right now.

We ordered fried chicken and french fries for lunch. It was like a squished piece of chicken but tasted soooo good and the fries were crisp and not mushy. We shared the order and diet cokes. Then Glenn cleaned up and I read some more.The down day has felt really good. The hotel was supposed to have internet but we haven't been able to get it working so I probably won't be able to post until London. Glenn is exchanging a few more dollars for rupees so we can tip our new driver and buy something for dinner at the airport - YUM! We are getting ready to watch a movie on the computer since every channel on the TV is either an Indian station or pay to watch.

We watched "Live and Let Die" as the next movie in our James Bond marathon. Then Glenn played Hearts on the computer and I read until I got too sleepy. We finished packing and got all ready. We are now at the airport and I just finished eating a chicken sandwich and McDonalds' fries at 1:00 in the morning! I must say it was pretty gosh darn good! We also had ice cream but hey, it's 7:00pm in London. We will board in about 30 or so minutes. Next time will be in London!

Posted by MaryDavis 06:06 Archived in India

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint